Revisiting Bereavement and Grief in the Workplace
January 2023 Global Wellness Initiative Panel
Z. Colette Edwards, MD, MBA
The COVID-19 pandemic brought grief and bereavement to the forefront – experiences which are universal, complex, and often both uncomfortable and fraught for many of us.
Acknowledging our feelings, processing our own mortality, and being proactive about the end of life- making sure our “house is in order” – are all steps we can take to bring comfort and calm for both ourselves and our loved ones when the inevitable happens and frees us to celebrate the life of the one who has been lost.
Are you seeking a speaker?
Is your organization seeking a subject matter expert? Insight MD® founder Z. Colette Edwards, MD, MBA is a well-versed and engaging presenter and is available for small or large-group presentations, staff meetings, conferences in workplace, hospital, health center and other formats on the following types of topics:
Known by her clients as “The Insight Doctor,” Z. Colette Edwards, M.D., M.B.A. blends the medical insight of an Ivy-trained physician, the business acumen of an MBA-trained executive, and the holistic health and well-being outlook of an integrative coach to pack a one-two punch of inspiration and industry-leading healthcare business expertise. Her goal is to put the “health” back into healthcare to drive the health and well-being of individuals, and the financial health of organizations which result.
Engaging Speaker, Thought Leader & Innovator
- Managing Editor of The Wharton Healthcare Quarterly, and expert health contributor for Woman’s Day and Her Mind Participant in Woman Talk Live radio segments.
- Author of Be Less Stressed, a year’s worth of motivation, resources, and activities for reducing stress and its impact on health and to achieve greater well-being, and more happiness.
- Co-creator of “Leading with Authenticity,” a highly engaging and interactive seminar of the health risks of “faking it.” Colette teaches how to lead AND be true to yourself.
- Co-creator of “The Art & Science of Healthy Aging,” a forum to explore the keys to healthy aging based on the latest scientific research.
- Creator of “Be a Healthcare Rebel,” a self-advocacy program that teaches you how to make changes to positively impact your quality of life.
- Author of Gastroenterology Quick Glance, a McGraw-Hill GI text.
- Healthcare trends that affect outcomes and reimbursement
- Health equity – health disparities, health literacy, and cultural sensitivity
- Integration of data and employee benefits
- Accountable Care Organization (ACO) and Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) care delivery model optimization
- Population health management
- Employee health and well-being best practices
- Stress – the good, the bad, and the ugly
We’d love to hear from you about your organization’s needs for a guest presenter.
Get in touch with us to get started.
- December 16, 2021 – Trends in Healthcare and the Keys to Thriving in the Workplace in the COVID-19 Era – Z. Colette Edwards, MD, MBA speaks on the New England Society for Healthcare Strategy webinar series about trends in health and healthcare, including emotional and mental health and diversity, inclusion, and equity amidst the COVID-19 landscape. Attendees learned about strategies and approaches to the challenges of a changing work environment and ways to reduce burnout.
- December 16, 2021 – Why Can’t They Just Ask? – Z. Colette Edwards, MD, MBA joins Dr. Talya Miron-Shatz on her webinar series to discuss health literacy and the barriers that may prevent patients from understanding their doctor and asking questions of healthcare professionals.
- May 12, 2019 – Payers and Providers: Working Together to Improve Maternal Health – Z. Colette Edwards, MD, MBA speaks on a panel discussion at The Future of Obstetrics Summit, which looked at collaborative ways to improve maternal health before, during, and after childbirth.The panelists discussed steps payers and providers can take together to make patient needs the focus of care and address such issues as “the fourth trimester” (the 12 months following delivery) and health disparities in maternal mortality, e.g., maternity-related death rates among African American women are 3-4 times higher than their white peers, even when adjusted for income and education.
- May 8, 2019 – Population Health: An Employers Perspective Listen to the presentation for Thomas Jefferson University’s College of Population Health Forum or download the slides.Z. Colette Edwards, MD, MBA is the National Medical Director for Associate Health and Well-Being at Humana. She explores the approach Humana takes toward population health, including programming to reach desired outcomes. Learn how to define a population, the role an employer plays, and see programming examples. The presentation includes insights all employers can use to improve employee well-being, cost of care, and population health.
- October 22, 2018 – Health Literacy and Older Adults: Reshaping the Landscape: Proceedings of a Workshop Read report here.
- Wednesday, November 8, 2017 – Gratitude: Discovering the Health and Well-Being Benefits. Tune into this webinar as Z. Colette Edwards is tapped by DRW Coaching, a leader in researching the benefits of gratitude, to dive deep into the workplace benefits of practicing gratitude at both the individual and organizational level. Colette walks participants through practical examples of gratitude-in-action to advance:
- Health and well-being
- Teamwork and resilience, and
- Recognition to strengthen culture.
Learn more about how practicing gratitude can help you and your organization!
- Friday, March 7, 2014 – Executive Women’s Breakfast Series: The Art & Science of Healthy Aging. In this Executive Women’s Breakfast series, we discovered the keys to healthy aging based on the latest scientific research. This was a one-of-a-kind seminar, especially designed for executive women and entrepreneurs, who wanted to take ownership of their health and well-being. We enjoyed networking with other enlightened women as we learned how to enhance the quality of our lives. Held at the Tower Club, Vienna, VA 22182. Facilitated By: Z. Colette Edwards, MD, MBA, CEO of Insight MD® & PeopleTweaker and Charlene Rothkopf, President & Founder – Wellness Consulting Group, LLC. Read comments from participants here.
- February 25, 2014 – Leading with Authenticity – The Marketing Directors’ Support Group – Economic Alliance of Greater Baltimore. This was an invitation-only event for the Marketing Directors’ Support Group, in which the topic of leading with authenticity was examined for impact on personal and professional growth. Facilitated By: Z. Colette Edwards, MD, MBA, CEO of Insight MD® & PeopleTweaker and Charlene Rothkopf, President & Founder – Wellness Consulting Group, LLC. Read comments from participants here.
- October 18, November 15, and November 18 – Executive Women’s Breakfast Series: Leading with Authenticity, an executive women’s breakfast to reap the most rewards from your career and your life through authenticity. Held at the Tower Club in Vienna, VA and the Center Club in Baltimore, MD. Facilitated by Z. Colette Edwards, MD, MBA, CEO of Insight MD and PeopleTweaker and Charlene Rothkopf, President & Founder – Wellness Consulting Group, LLC. Read the comments of participants here.
- January 8, 2013 – Healing Our Healthcare System: Transforming the Future panel discussion at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore. Sponsored by the International Coach Federation and Tai Sophia Institute.
- Faculty Member
“Holistic Approaches to Stress: The Art and Science of Relaxation”
Tai Sophia Institute Summer 2012
EYE AM NOT Alone 2012 Patient Retreat Conference
Ocular Melanoma Foundation Winter 2012
“Getting to Know You – Prepping for Shared Decision-Making”
World Congress on Shared Decision-Making
“The Carilion Clinic Pilot: Piloting a New Payment Structure with Private Payers”
World Leadership Congress Summit on ACOs
Below is a sampling of public and workplace presentations given by founder of Insight MD, Z. Colette Edwards, MD, MBA:
- “Mindful Management of Mental Health and Depression in the Workplace,” Texas Business Group on Health, San Antonio, TX, 2017
- “Employer-Initiated Investigation of Physician Stressors to Inform Well-Being Offerings” – Poster Presentation at the annual Lifestyle Medicine Conference, Nashville, TN 2015
- “The Art and Science of Healthy Aging” – The Tower Club in Vienna, VA, March 2014
- “Leading with Authenticity” – The Economic Alliance of Greater Baltimore for the Marketing Directors’ Support Group, February 2014
- “An Entrepreneurial Perspective on Technology Transfer and Commercialization” – Women in Bio – Society of Physician Entrepreneurs – Johns Hopkins University Center for Biotechnology Education, November 2013.
- “Leading with Authenticity” – The Tower Club in Vienna, VA and The Center Club in Baltimore, MD, October and November 2013 (for Ameriprise): Read feedback about this event.
- “Healing Our Healthcare System: Transforming the Future” – International Coach Federation and Sinai Hospital, January 2013
- “An Holistic Approach to Alleviating Stress: The Art and Science of Relaxation – Tai Sophia Institute – June 2012.
- “Overview on Health Coaching” – Catonsville Community College of Baltimore County – April 2012
- “Health, Wellness, and Life Coaching” – integrative medicine panelist at the Ocular Melanoma Foundation EYE AM NOT ALONE Patient Retreat Conference – March 2012
- “Getting to Know You – Prepping for Shared Decision-Making” – panelist at the World Leadership Congress Summit on Shared Decision-Making – September 2011
- “The Carilion Clinic Pilot: Piloting a New Payment Structure with Private Payers” – co-presenter at the World Leadership Congress Summit on ACOs – May 2010
- “Straight Talk – Metabolic Syndrome” – co-presenter at the annual NFBPA conference April, 2010
- “Health Literacy – Words Matter” – panelist presentation at the annual BEEP conference, June 2009
- Participant on a PCMH (patient-centered medical home) plenary session panel at the Virginia Business Coalition on Health 2009 “Business & Health Summit— Partnering for Quality” at the annual VIPCS conference (Virginians for Improving Patient Care and Safety), May 2009
- “Wellness in the Workplace” – presentation at the annual NFBPA conference, April 2008
- “Wellness and You” – presentation to the Council of Presidents of the National Forum of Black Public Administrators, January 2008.
- “Putting Wellness into Action” – Panelist presentation at AON’s Web Baltimore event, April 2007.
- “The Future of Health Benefits” – Panelist participant at Watson Wyatt annual client/prospect session, March 2007.
- “Disease Management – Clinical Aspects and Empowering Employees through Individualized Care, Education, and Support” – Webinar Seminar for CBIZ Clients and Consultant Community, January 2007.
- Presentation at The Executive Forum on Diabetes, Richmond, VA, November 2006
- “The Consumer Experience” – Presentation at Consumerism/CDHP Conference, Washington, DC, April 2006
- “Prescription for Maximizing Health & Wellness” – Presentation at annual NFBPA Conference, Fort Worth, April 2006
- “The Economic Benefits of the Early Diagnosis of Celiac Disease” – Poster Presentation at Digestive Disease Week of the American Gastroenterological Association annual conference, Chicago, April 2005
- “Health Savings Accounts – Update 2005” – Presentation to the National Association of Healthcare Consultants, Baltimore, June 2005
- “Total Health Management” – Presentation at the HR Executive Summit, Cleveland, May 2005
- “Racial Disparities in Health Care” – Panel Discussion at annual NFBPA Conference – Making Partnerships Work – Strategies for Success, Richmond, April 2005
- “The Importance of Medical Management and Consumer Engagement” – Presentation at the HR Star Conference, Cleveland, July 2004
- “Health Savings Accounts” – Presentation to the National Association of Healthcare Consultants, Seattle, June 2004
We’d love to hear from you about your organization’s needs for a guest presenter. Get in touch with us to get started.